Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Our Fourth

I hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend. This post is a little late, but better late than never, right?

We hosted our first outdoor party at our house this weekend. It went so well that I think it's safe to say that our place will be "the" place to be next year.
I finally got her to keep her sunnies on! This is a huge step in the right direction!
We spent all day Friday and most of Saturday morning working on getting things ready outside. We have SO much work to still accomplish outside and so many plans but not enough time to get it all done. We have so much property to maintain now so many exciting plans for it too. We are so used to a teeny tiny strip of lawn that we had when we lived in our double block so this is like going from one extreme to the next.
We still have lots of grass to plant and lots of landscaping but here is the start of our fire pit. This is something that I knew I wanted from the beginning.

We recessed it into the ground but we want to make it a bit higher and eventually add stone seating around it. Although it isn't finished, it served its purpose on Saturday night and there were lots of laughs, lots of memories made, lots of s'mores, and the Corona's with lime were flowing. 

This is Aubrey's little area of the yard. It's the shadiest part of the yard so it's a nice retreat on a hot summer day. We'll be adding a swing set and some hammocks to this area in the next year or so too.

When you live in the woods you better have lots of citronella on hand if you plan on staying out on a hot summer night. I found this adorable lantern at Ikea and the candle next to it is from Walmart it's a citronella but it smells like cedar wood which I thought was amazing because I really don't love the smell of citronella.

This right here is what happens when you let guys go shopping...
My husband texted me this photo from the store and I nearly died. This is what happens when your fire obsessed husband, brothers, and dad go shopping for the 4th. Insanity happens. Everyone in the store was laughing and pointing at them and rightfully so because this is just madness. Who does this?

Aubrey anticipating the big firework display in the backyard. 
Aubrey loved the fireworks last year so I figured she would love them this year. Well, not so much. She loved watching them but could do without the sound so we sat inside and watched the 2 1/2 hour long firework display from the second story sitting room. I didn't even mind it because we really had the best view, no bugs, and we were all cuddled and cozy on the comfortable chair- but I did feel like I was missing out a little on everyone's company outside.

So all of these pictures from this point on are taken from the window of the sitting area of the house. Not the best, but you get the idea.
All lit up! This is one of my favorite parts of the yard. They look so magical in person.

Now onto the fireworks (aka: the 2 1/2 hours of pyromania that went on here):




Our town's firework display was on Sunday night and we didn't plan on going because we were tired from our party on Saturday and we didn't want to keep Aubrey up past her bedtime 2 nights in a row. This was our first 4th of July in our new home so we had no idea but it turns out that we have the most perfect view of the town's firework display from none other than our sitting area! We'll never have to sit in the traffic or wait around outside on the buggy streets filled with people. The sitting room was a one of the major draws when we choose the design of our house but we had no idea how much use we would actually get out of it until now. 

How was your weekend?
Am I the only one with a family of fire-loving guys that fill up carts of fireworks like this?

1 comment:

  1. I've missed your face! haha, looks like a great 4th of July and I've learned to never send my hubby out for groceries alone! ;)

    Sequins&Stilettos


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from my readers.